Cabaletta Bio (NASDAQ: CABA) is focused on the discovery and development of T cell therapies for B cell-mediated autoimmune diseases. Our proprietary technology utilizes Chimeric AutoAntibody Receptor (CAAR) T cells that are designed to precisely bind and destroy only specific autoantibody-expressing B cells while sparing normal antibody-expressing B cells, which are essential for human health. Cabaletta’s Approach for selective B cell Ablation platform, called our CABA™ platform, has applicability across more than two dozen B cell-mediated autoimmune diseases that we have identified, reviewed and prioritized. CAAR T technology is based on the revolutionary Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR) T cell technology developed at the University of Pennsylvania that resulted in one of the first commercially-available CAR T cell products for the treatment of B cell malignancies. Cabaletta has an exclusive global licensing agreement and multiple sponsored research agreements with the University of Pennsylvania to develop CAAR T technology to treat B cell-mediated autoimmune diseases.
The Company’s lead product candidate, DSG3-CAART, received IND clearance from the FDA in September 2019. DSG3-CAART is designed to be a potential treatment for patients with mucosal pemphigus vulgaris (mPV), which is a rare autoimmune blistering disorder that causes painful blisters and sores on mucous membranes leading to severe and sometimes debilitating and life-altering effects. The Company is expected to begin clinical trials for the lead compound for mPV in 2020. Cabaletta Bio is also pursuing a second product candidate, MuSK-CAART, designed to treat patients with MuSK-positive Myasthenia Gravis.
Uniquely Differentiated. Rapid. Elegant.
At Cabaletta, we are driven by the shared mission of developing a new type of therapy, where patients’ own cells are used to fight disease. We are building a culture grounded in the knowledge that success in the Cabaletta mission lies in the hands of individuals across every aspect of the company. To nurture this, we make an active commitment to the well-being and continuous growth of each person who joins our team. In this way, we are not only working to improve the lives of patients, but of everyone involved. #CabalettaCrew
About the Position
This is a bench scientist position, reporting to the Director of Gene Transfer Technologies. The incumbent will be an experienced and motivated Retroviral Scientist who, under supervision, will lead the production of lentivirus (LV). The work entails the design and assembly of complex molecular constructs, the production of plasmid stocks and the use of mammalian cell systems to produce and purify high titer lentivirus. This role will be able to independently perform the production of lentivirus and conduct lentiviral titration assays using established protocols and common analytical methods.
Proven experience in the ability to communicate and interact with CROs that provide services in this space is important. In addition, this role will be responsible for timely delivery of high titer lentivirus to the different departments involved in research, development and manufacturing.
Responsibilities include to:
- Assemble genetic constructs and perform quality control analysis of sequencing data in silico using dedicated software.
- Work with external CROs to generate materials needed for viral vector production.
- Maintain and prepare mammalian cells for lentivirus production.
- Harvesting and purification of virus from mammalian cultures.
- Perform titration assays using product-specific protocols, analyze and report titration data.
- Maintain highest level of integrity and awareness in handling critical QC and molecular design work.
- Manage multiple internal projects from R&D, Quality, Analytical, and Manufacturing Sciences and collaborate with external sources.
- Actively contribute to process improvements, implement new techniques and innovative trends.
- Show a high level of flexibility in supporting various other activities and be ready to learn new techniques outside of existing field of expertise.
- BS or MS in a related scientific discipline with 3 - 5 years of experience in academia or industry, or PhD in Virology, Molecular Biology, or related discipline with 1 + years of experience.
- Prior experience with the production of retroviral vector under BSL-2 is a must.
- Experience working with external CROs and academic collaborators.
- Solid understanding of retroviral biology and high level of familiarity with modern retroviral gene transfer systems.
- Experienced in Molecular Biology work flows aimed at constructing retroviral building blocks.
- Significant hands on experience with molecular cloning software, such as Lasergene.
- Experience with cell culture (aseptic technique) is required.
- Must be highly organized and able to work independently, must be able to clearly communicate in writing, must have a desire to be part of a growing organization that uses cutting-edge science.
- Prior work experience in matrix managed organizations and ability to work in a team-oriented culture.
Our name – Cabaletta – is derived from the operatic term for the second part of an aria that is designed to highlight the technical expertise of the lead singer. While our company is not the first to develop chimeric T cells as therapies, we are the first to develop them in a way that leverages T cells to specifically eliminate only B cells that cause disease, while sparing healthy B cells. Utilizing the backbone of this core technology, we expect to advance our portfolio with a rapid and repetitive rhythm, similar to the rhythm that is typical of a cabaletta.
For more information, please visit https://www.cabalettabio.com/ or email email@example.com directly to submit an application. Please include your CV along with the title of the position you are applying for.
Our most important asset is our people and we offer competitive benefits including a selection of medical, dental, vision plans, 401K match, transportation stipends, PTO, and stock option plans.
Cabaletta Bio is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable law.