Cabaletta Bio is focused on the discovery and development of T cell therapies for B cell-mediated autoimmune diseases. Cabaletta’s therapeutic platform produces highly selective autologous Chimeric AutoAntibody Receptor (CAAR) T cells that are designed to precisely bind and destroy only specific autoantibody-producing B cells while sparing normal antibody-producing B cells, which are essential for human health. The platform is based on the revolutionary Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR) T cell technology developed at the University of Pennsylvania that resulted in one of the first commercially-available CAR T cell products for the treatment of B cell malignancies. Cabaletta has an exclusive global licensing agreement and multiple sponsored research agreements with the University of Pennsylvania to develop the CAAR T technology to treat B cell-mediated autoimmune diseases. The Company’s lead therapeutic program is a potential treatment for a prototypical B cell-mediated autoimmune disease, mucosal pemphigus vulgaris (mPV), which is a rare skin disorder that causes painful blisters and sores on mucous membranes leading to severe and sometimes debilitating and life-altering effects.
Uniquely Differentiated. Rapid. Elegant.
At Cabaletta, we are driven by the shared mission of developing a new type of therapy, where patients’ own cells are used to fight disease. We are building a culture grounded in the knowledge that success in the Cabaletta mission lies in the hands of individuals across every aspect of the company. To nurture this, we make an active commitment to the well-being and continuous growth of each person who joins our team. In this way, we are not only working to improve the lives of patients, but of everyone involved. #CabalettaCrew
About the Position
This is a research position, reporting to the Senior Director of Gene Transfer Technologies. The incumbent will be an experienced scientist in the gene editing and genetic engineering space and have expertise in emerging techniques and their implementation for cellular therapeutics. Candidates from academia and industry will be considered who have a proven track record in the conceptualization and execution of innovation projects utilizing these technologies. A publication record in peer-reviewed journals and scientific network for troubleshooting and advice is preferred.
The work entails interacting with outside collaborators at a highly technical level, leading tech transfer and in-house establishment of novel, state of the art gene transfer technologies and the manufacturing of cellular therapeutics. Upon gene transfer, cell products are tested for potency using kinetic bioassays, secretion of cytokines and expression of surface markers, with each assessment done using different assay platforms as listed under requirements below. Strong applicants will have experience in more than one of these analysis platforms.
Candidates should be comfortable in an early stage biotechnology environment and enjoy the enterprise activities and opportunities that accompany a growing company . It is expected that the candidate has a strong desire to help patients with devastating, rare, autoimmune diseases and is a good match for Cabaletta’s team-focused culture of feedback, continuous improvement and pursuit of excellence.
Responsibilities will include
- Support or lead (where assigned) collaborative work with outside partners, help identify scope of work, participate in joint research committes, support project tracking
- Support tech transfer from CROs, lead in-house implementation efforts, establish related analytics
- Lead material transfer activities to and from outside partners, help with organization, storage and recording of samples
- Perform gene transfer experiments in various mammalian cell types using various different techniques including viral, electrical, lipoprotein, and other techniques
- Perform primary cell culture, banking and testing.
- Perform various analytical procedures aimed at determining the potency of cell products including ELISA, Luminex, killing assays, qPCR, ddPCR
- Apply in silico tools for gene editing, perform sequence alignments; develop and utilize tools for quantifying gene editing efficacy and off-target frequencies
- Perform literature searches to support innovation and continuous improvement to current processes
- Write laboratory documents such as work instructions and SOPs, maintain GLP-level records using electronic lab notebook
- Constantly strive to improve manufacturing processes (cell and gene transfer), evaluate innovative trends, test and implement new techniques and technologies
- MS with minimum of 2-3 years related experience and/or PhD degree in a related scientific discipline.
- Strong skills in modern molecular biology techniques and tools.
- Experience with cell culture (aseptic technique).
- Hands-on experience and deep mechanistic understanding of gene editing techniques
- Experience in on/off target frequency analytics in gene edited cell populations
- Familiarity with sequence analysis tools used to screen, find and align oligos to genomic targets
- Experience with the production of cellular therapeutics, at least at small scale
- Experience with functional assays for cell therapeutics using effector and target cells
- Capabilities in foundational flow cytometry principles and assays for the analysis of surface markers and/or intracellular proteins
- Experience with ELISA and Luminex to quantify cytokines and chemokines
- Experience with multiple PCR-based techniques such as qPCR, ddPCR, RT-PCR
- Effective management ofexternal projects with academic or industry partners strongly preferred.
- Must be highly organized, an effective andproactive communicator verbally and in writing, have disciplined practices of maintaining electronic records in real-time, and be able to work independently.
- Strong team orientation and passion for continuous self-development.
Our name – Cabaletta – is derived from the operatic term for the second part of an aria that is designed to highlight the technical expertise of the lead singer. While our company is not the first to develop chimeric T cells as therapies, we are the first to develop them in a way that leverages T cells to specifically eliminate only B cells that cause disease, while sparing healthy B cells. Utilizing the backbone of this core technology, we expect to advance our portfolio with a rapid and repetitive rhythm, similar to the rhythm that is typical of a cabaletta.
For more information, please visit https://www.cabalettabio.com/ or email email@example.com directly to submit an application. Please include your CV along with the title of the position you are applying for.
Our most important asset is our people and we offer competitive benefits including a selection of medical, dental, vision plans, 401K match, transportation stipends, PTO, and stock option plans.
Cabaletta Bio is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable law.