Cabaletta Bio (NASDAQ: CABA) is focused on the discovery and development of T cell therapies for B cell-mediated autoimmune diseases. Our proprietary technology utilizes Chimeric AutoAntibody Receptor (CAAR) T cells that are designed to precisely bind and destroy only specific autoantibody-expressing B cells while sparing normal antibody-expressing B cells, which are essential for human health. Cabaletta’s Approach for selective B cell Ablation platform, called our CABA™ platform, has applicability across more than two dozen B cell-mediated autoimmune diseases that we have identified, reviewed and prioritized. CAAR T technology is based on the revolutionary Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR) T cell technology developed at the University of Pennsylvania that resulted in one of the first commercially-available CAR T cell products for the treatment of B cell malignancies. Cabaletta has an exclusive global licensing agreement and multiple sponsored research agreements with the University of Pennsylvania to develop CAAR T technology to treat B cell-mediated autoimmune diseases.
The Company’s lead product candidate, DSG3-CAART, received IND clearance from the FDA in September 2019. DSG3-CAART is designed to be a potential treatment for patients with mucosal pemphigus vulgaris (mPV), which is a rare autoimmune blistering disorder that causes painful blisters and sores on mucous membranes leading to severe and sometimes debilitating and life-altering effects. The Company is expected to begin clinical trials for the lead compound for mPV in 2020. Cabaletta Bio is also pursuing a second product candidate, MuSK-CAART, designed to treat patients with MuSK-positive Myasthenia Gravis.
Uniquely Differentiated. Rapid. Elegant.
At Cabaletta, we are driven by the shared mission of developing a new type of therapy, where patients’ own cells are used to fight disease. We are building a culture grounded in the knowledge that success in the Cabaletta mission lies in the hands of individuals across every aspect of the company. To nurture this, we make an active commitment to the well-being and continuous growth of each person who joins our team. In this way, we are not only working to improve the lives of patients, but of everyone involved. #CabalettaCrew
About the Position
Reporting to the Senior Scientist, Protein Chemistry and Analytics, we are seeking an experienced and motivated Protein Chemistry Technician to Associate Scientist. Under scientific and technical supervision, the candidate will produce, purify, and characterize peptides and proteins, run ELISA Luminex™ and other assays as needed. The position offers growths into additional areas such as cell biology and molecular biology, immunology, and cell therapy. The position involves both technical and operational responsibilities.
Responsibilities include to:
- Protein synthesis and purification using various methods including:
- Mammalian and other cell lines as needed, to support protein production
- Harvesting of spent medium, initial clarification (depth filtration, centrifugation) and volume reduction (TFF)
- Develop and execute protein characterization and quantification assays with direct supervision, including but not limited to, chromatography using protein-specific affinity matrices, gel electrophoresis, immunoblotting and FPLC driven processes.
- Manage multiple internal projects for R&D, Analytical, and Manufacturing Sciences and collaborate with internal and external sources.
- Actively contribute to process improvements and the implementation of new technologies.
- Perform lab associated tasks in accordance with cGLP and Cabaletta Bio lab safety policies.
- Maintain accurate and well-organized records and laboratory notebook.
- BSc in a scientific discipline with a minimum of 3 + years of biotech laboratory experience or applicable degree and experience.
- Experience with the production and purification of recombinant proteins, including mammalian cell culture (aseptic techniques).
- Experience working with external CROs and academic collaborators.
- Solid understanding of protein chemistry and familiarity with modern protein analytical techniques.
- Experienced in protein purification work flows aimed at producing research grade, purified, functional proteins.
- General lab skills including sterile technique and human tissue handling.
- Must be highly organized and able to work independently
- Must be able to clearly communicate in writing, must have a desire to be part of a growing organization that uses cutting-edge science
- A high level of flexibility to support various other activities the ability to learn new techniques outside of existing field of expertise
- Digital PCR, ELISA, Luminex, flow cytometry.
- Experience in a startup industrial setting is highly desirable.
Our name – Cabaletta – is derived from the operatic term for the second part of an aria that is designed to highlight the technical expertise of the lead singer. While our company is not the first to develop chimeric T cells as therapies, we are the first to develop them in a way that leverages T cells to specifically eliminate only B cells that cause disease, while sparing healthy B cells. Utilizing the backbone of this core technology, we expect to advance our portfolio with a rapid and repetitive rhythm, similar to the rhythm that is typical of a cabaletta.
For more information, please visit https://www.cabalettabio.com/ or email email@example.com directly to submit an application. Please include your CV along with the title of the position you are applying for.
Our most important asset is our people and we offer competitive benefits including a selection of medical, dental, vision plans, 401K match, transportation stipends, PTO, and stock option plans.
Cabaletta Bio is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable law.